Easter is coming up and this past weekend we got into the spirit by making these fun Strawberry Pound Cake Parfaits for Mini Chef Monday. Featuring ready made pound cake, fresh strawberries, and whipped cream, this is a simple spring dessert, perfect for mini chefs. Wesley loved making these parfaits with very little help from me.
I picked up this inexpensive Wilton Easter Mini Metal Cookie Cutter Set at my local craft store. I brainstormed how I might use them in a dessert and decided that pound cake would be a great option.
Because pound cake is fairly firm, it was easy to cut through them with the cutters. You can fit up to three on a single slice if you are careful about placement of the cutters.
I used very cold Sarah Lee pound cake and it worked great for this project. Wesley loved all the fun assort shapes! You’ll want to be sure you don’t cut your pound cake too thick however so your mini cutter can make it all the way through the cake.
I can tell that Wesley is getting trained for Mini Chef Monday. He is so used to me taking his picture that he actually paused and looked at me before adding the pudding.
Pudding is such a great option for young children in the kitchen. Not only is it easy for them to make themselves, but it is ready in just a few minutes.
Wesley loved being able to pour the milk and whisk it himself.
He also helped me assemble the parfaits. We used disposable plastic cups instead of parfait glasses this time. I wanted something that had a wider mouth so Wes could easily assemble them, but I didn’t want anything too large either. This work great and can even be washed and reused.
To top our parfaits off, we added some whipped cream and sprinkles. The pound cake shapes work great for a garnish.
Make your parfaits with the pudding or you can keep things extra simple by just using whipped cream, strawberries and pound cake. If you are hosting a crowd consider making a parfait bar. Offer various toppings, cut up pound cake and fruit to guests and let them make their own parfaits!
- 1 package Sara Lee Pound Cake
- 1 box vanilla or cheesecake pudding
- 2 cups milk
- chopped strawberries
- whipped cream
- sprinkles (optional)
- Cut out 12 pound cake shapes with mini cutters. Set aside.
- Cube remaining pound cake.
- Make pudding according package directions
- Assemble parfaits with cubed pound cake, strawberries and pudding.
- Top with whipped cream, pound cake shapes and sprinkles.
- Serve immediately.
What have you been up to with your mini chefs this week?
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 11 fabulous bloggers! Read how Mini Chef Mondays started, plus how to link up!
Join our facebook group to find even more recipes and share recipes too!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well!
- Avocado Deviled Eggs // Courtney’s Sweets
- Easter Bunny Cake // Momma Lew
- Chocolate Covered Caramel Cheesecake Bites // We’re Parents
- White Chocolate Covered Grapes // Frugal Novice
- Easy Lamb Chops Recipe for the Oven // Eating Richly Even When You’re Broke
- Bunny Rabbit Pancake // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Mini Chicken Pot Pies // Step Stool Chef
- No-Bake Carrot Cake Bites // Vegging at the Shore
- Strawberry Pineapple Kale Smoothie // Mom’s Messy Miracles
- Cooking with Kids: Keeping it Safe // O’Boy! Organic
- Peaches and Cream Pie // Can’t Google Everything