I love to bake. Unfortunately my waistline does not always appreciate it as much as my taste buds. Sugar is unfortunately something to be enjoyed in moderation and I don’t always care for the taste of artificial sweeteners, especially in my baked goods. But now another option is available that can help you save 350 calories for each cup! C&H® has developed C&H® Light, an all natural pure cane sugar and stevia blend with half the calories of sugar.
By blending pure cane C&H® Sugar with a naturally sweet extract from the stevia plant, we have created a delicious sweetener with no artificial ingredients. C&H® Light is the ideal sweetener — a perfect sweet taste and half the calories of sugar!
This past week I put C&H Light to the test. First up, I tried a new recipe for chocolate chip scones. Unfortunately I thought they seemed to have a bland flavor and because I had never tried the recipe before, it wasn’t really fair to access this sugar blend. Perhaps it was just the recipe I did not care for.
Next up was my beloved banana chocolate chip muffins. These are regularly made in my house and something I would definitely be able to tell if there was a change in taste. Could I tell a difference?
Yes, I could. If I had a choice between my regular muffin and the muffin with C&H Light, I would choose the muffin made with regular sugar. However, the C&H Light version was quite tasty and if I were on a diet, I would think differently. (I would also replace half of the oil with applesauce and the chocolate chips with raisins but that is another point entirely!)
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons C&H Light Sugar Blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup light sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (approximately 2-3 bananas)
- ¾ cup milk chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, add combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the egg, oil, sour cream and vanilla.
- Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fold in bananas and chocolate chips.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
And now for some fun news, you can participate in an upcoming Twitter party with C&H/Domino Sugar where you’ll have a chance to win gift cards and prizes. There is $500 worth up for grabs! Join them the evening of August 8th using the hashtag #DominoCHLight. For more information and to RSVP visit Mamavation!
C&H Light is available in a 2 lb. resealable pouch and in a 40 ct packet box. Look for it in stores nationwide. Be sure to visit the C&HSugar Facebook page to connect with the brand and download a money saving coupon from the coupon tab!
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Domino Sugar, however all thoughts remain 100% my own.