*I received a compensation in return for this post. This post was made possible by Mom Spark Media. Thoughts are my own.*
I love cranberries which is why you’ll often see me sharing recipes with them included. I enjoy dried cranberries and use them in recipes such as this apple cranberry coleslaw or fresh ones in these cranberry pumpkin muffins. But now I know how to pick out a great juice so I can receive the health benefits of cranberries any time.
Be Berry Aware has shared with me some great information about cranberry juice and makes it very easy to understand. In today’s world, consumers have so much information thrown at them on a daily basis regarding what is healthy it can be hard to sift through it all. I’m often left wondering what guidelines to follow when I get conflicting advice from trusted sources. So I appreciate information that is clear, to the the point and isn’t slanted towards any particular brands like the cranberry juice info I received from Be Berry Aware.
Why You Should Consider Drinking Cranberry Juice:
- A 8 oz. (1 cup) of cranberry juice, with a minimum of 27% cranberry juice, provides the same health benefits as 1½ cups of whole berries. And since cranberries aren’t always easy to obtain year round, this is a great alternative!
- The rich red color of cranberry juice is derived from anthocyanin’s which are naturally occurring flavonoids – a type of antioxidant with health promotion potential.
- Cranberry juice contains a unique and abundant polyphenol proanthocyanidin (PAC-A), which sets it apart from other juices and is responsible for its bacterial anti-adhesion properties.
- 70% of Americans do not meet the daily allowance for fruits and vegetables. I find this statistic a bit staggering. Although whole foods contain more fiber and contribute better to satiety than juice, the 2010 Dietary Guidelines and MyPlate acknowledge a serving per day of 100% juice as a fruit and/or vegetable allowance. I personally believe juice is a great alternative in moderation.
- The National Kidney Foundation® suggests drinking a glass of cranberry juice daily may help prevent urinary tract infections. I have suffered from UTIs before and cranberry juice is amazing for helping to prevent and cope during an infection, with of course an immediate doctor’s visit.
How Can You Enjoy 100% Pure Cranberry Juice?
Did you know that 100% cranberry juice is considered a “nutrient dense” beverage – per calorie, it packs more nutritional value than other beverage choices? But if you’ve experienced this tart juice, you’ll know you need to add a little something to reduce the pucker power. Here are some great ideas I received:
- Mix ¼ cup of pure cranberry juice (or 1 cup of cranberry cocktail or 100% juice blend) with 1 cup of sparkling lime water. If you prefer a sweeter flavor add a few drops of liquid stevia or substitute a diet lemon-lime soft drink. Serve over ice.
- Mix either ¼ cup of pure cranberry juice, or 1 cup 100% juice blend or cocktail with 1 cup of iced tea, add a few drops of liquid stevia or honey if you prefer a sweeter flavor. Serve over ice.
- Cranberry Sangria: Simply combine the following ingredients and chill for 4 hours. A bottle (750 ml) of fruity red wine, 4 cups of cranberry juice,1 cup of orange juice,1 thinly sliced orange,1 cored and thinly sliced apple,½ cup of fresh or frozen cranberries. Serve over ice.
- During the cold winter months, try a hot mulled cranberry drink. Combine 1 cup of cranberry juice, ½ tablespoon maple syrup, 1 cinnamon stick, 2 cloves and a slice of orange in a small saucepan. Simmer gently and strain before serving. For an adult version add a splash of brandy before serving.
- When making oatmeal try replacing the water with cranberry juice.
- Add pure cranberry juice to a vinaigrette with a touch of honey to perk up your salad greens or add a unique flavor to a marinade.
Which Cranberry Juice Should You Buy?
Get the most nutritional value that you can by checking the label. Pick those that lists cranberry juice as the main ingredient and be sure it is at least 27% so you get the most out of your purchase! You’ll find 10 that are easy to spot in the infographic above including Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice Cocktail and Langers Cranberry Juice Cocktail.
Disclosure: While this is a sponsored post through Mom Spark Media, all thoughts remain my own.