I used to believe that wine should be enjoyed in its purest form. Wine has always been my alcoholic drink of choice. A glass here and there at a nice restaurant with a delicious meal or relaxing at home with my husband as we enjoy each other’s company are my favorite ways to enjoy a glass, responsibly of course. Why mess with a good thing? But in the last few years my view on wine has definitely changed. I’ve been introduced to wine cocktails and realized that wine can be the base of so many delicious drinks. If you’ve ever had sangria, you know exactly what I mean. So when asked to try out family-owned Crios wines, Argentina’s leading and most innovative winemaker, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to create my own signature wine cocktail.
Crios in Spanish means “offspring” and was created by Susana Balboas a tribute to her son, Jose?, and daughter, Ana. These wines are harvested from specific areas in Mendoza and Salta in Argentina, where grapes are optimal for the fruit-forward style of Crios. What is unique to Crios is that contrary to many other entry level brands, Crios wines have a background, a story behind. Each wine carries an inspirational message that also represents either a milestone in Susana’s personal and professional life or the story about how the wine was made.
I decided on a bottle of Crios Cabernet Sauvignon, a favorite of mine, to be the base of my Cherries Jubilee Wine Cocktail.
CRIOS CABERNET SAUVIGNON
- Inspirational message of the wine: Trust in yourself
- Life lesson and tasting notes: Susana Balbo strived to make a premium Cabernet Sauvignon in the unproven terroir of Argentina. Even in the face of doubt, she trusted her instincts and created an elegant Cabernet that took the world’s attention, laced with notes of plum, dark chocolate, and vanilla spice.
- Pairing: Grilled or roasted meats, empanadas, chili
- Brief descriptors: elegant, earthy and balanced
I thought cherries would be a perfect pairing with the plum, dark chocolate and vanilla spice notes already in the wine and I was right!
- 4 oz. Crios Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 oz rum (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cherry juice concentrate
- 2 oz. sparkling water
- 4-6 frozen dark cherries
- mint (optional)
- Add wine, rum and cherry juice concentrate to a shaker with ice.
- Pour in glass with ice.
- Add sparkling water and dark cherries.
- Top with mint for garnish (optional)
Both my husband and I loved it, although he left out the sparkling water. You can make this recipe in bulk to feed a crowd, or offer various Crios wine varieties and mix-ins to create a fun wine cocktail bar for guests that is tailored to their personal tastes.
Do you have a favorite wine cocktail?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.