This week’s post includes strawberry banana muffins and is all about a fresh start! You may have noticed that my name has changed! When I started BabyLovingMama.com over 7 years ago, I didn’t think long term with my name. I never imagined that it would become a new career. I wish I would have changed it long ago as the old name wasn’t a good reflection of the content I share. I chose Finding Zest because it fit me so well. I’d like my site to be all about finding a zest for life and motherhood in the everyday, whatever that might mean to you. Of course I loved that it also ties into food since I share so many recipes. With that in mind, Wesley and I made these strawberry banana muffins for our Mini Chef Monday Series.
Muffin Recipes for Kids
Muffins are a favorite type of recipe to make with my kids. I’m always on the lookout for muffin recipes for kids, which is really almost any kind of muffin. I don’t think my kids have met a muffin yet they didn’t like. Typically no mixer is required and there are plenty of other opportunities for stirring and measuring. It also helps that they are done baking in 20 minutes or less so we don’t have to wait long to enjoy them. When I spotted this recipe I knew it was perfect.
How to Make Strawberry Muffins
I’m still trying to give my four year old plenty of opportunities for cutting and mashing. I like to use very overripe bananas, perfect for adding lots of flavor and easy for Wes to mash with a fork. For the strawberries, I sliced them one way and he sliced them the other. It worked great for getting still relatively uniform pieces and time for him to practice.
While it was tempting to add some sort of crumb topping to this recipe, I didn’t think the extra sugar was necessary. I’m so glad I didn’t because they turned out so good without it!
Mini Chef Monday Kitchen Tip:
When baking muffins with my kids, I like to use colorful baking cups. Wesley loves to line our muffin tins, and bright colors or fun designs makes our muffins look even better. If you are running low or need some cool baking cups in your life, Amazon has plenty of options that can be shipped directly to you!
Here are just a few of our favorite baking cups:
Wilton 415-2179 300 Count Rainbow Bright Standard Baking CupsWilton 415-2870 150 Count Woodland Animals Baking Cups Value Pack, AssortedWilton 415-2286 300 Count Polka Dots Standard Baking CupsWilton 415-8121 150-Pack Baking Cup, Dots/Stripes, Standard
Those woodland animal muffin cups are next on my to buy list. Aren’t they adorable?
Strawberry Banana Muffins Recipe
Here is how to make these delicious strawberry muffins!
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ cup oil
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium sized bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners or grease cups.
- In medium bowl, whisk sugar, oil, eggs, bananas and vanilla until well blended. Set aside.
- In large bowl stir together flour, baking soda, salt.
- Stir banana mixture into dry ingredients.
- Gently fold in strawberries.
- Add batter to muffin cups.
- Bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Move muffins to wire rack to cool.
- Serve while warm or cool completely.
If you like this strawberry banana muffins recipe, you’ll love these rhubarb muffins and these banana crumb muffins which are amazing!
What have you been up to with your mini chefs?
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 8 fabulous bloggers! Read how Mini Chef Mondays started, plus how to link up!
Join our facebook group to find even more recipes and share recipes too!
More Kid Friendly Recipes
- Semi-Homemade Strawberry Yogurt Recipe // Courtney’s Sweets
- Mini Strawberry Shortcakes // Momma Lew
- BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches // We’re Parents
- Where Does Beef Come From? Kids Farm Visit // Eating Richly Even When You’re Broke
- Grilled Fluffernutter Sandwich // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Four Ingredient Stuffed Mushrooms // Vegging at the Shore
- 5 Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chewy Granola Bars // O’Boy! Organic
- 25+ Cute Foods for Kids! // My Mini Adventurer