Movie night is fun in our house. My husband and I will cuddle with the kids on our big couch, and enjoy some small snack. It is the only time we allow food in the living room, so it is a big deal. And even though my husband typically falls asleep halfway through, it is great family time. We like to put family first, so with that in mind General Mills Big G challenged me to come up a snack to enjoy during a family movie night using one eight cereals participating in a free digital HD movie download promotion. (More on that later in the post.)
I decided that we couldn’t have a movie night without popcorn and thought that Honey Nut Cheerios would taste great mixed in.
It turned out amazing! It is similar to caramel corn, but doesn’t have as thick of a coating. Just a nice buttery, honey flavor.
- 8 cups of microwave popcorn, popped (2 bags)
- 3 cups Honey Nut Cheerios cereal
- 1½ cups salted cashews or peanuts
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In large bowl, combine popcorn, cereal and nuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey and hot, melted butter and vanilla until blended.
- Pour over popcorn mixture and stir until well combined.
- Line two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in.baking sheets with parchment paper if desired. (Or simply leave them ungreased.)
- Pour popcorn mixture over sheets into a single layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring at least twice during the baking process.
- Cool before serving.
- Store in airtight container.
To really add to the fun, I decided to offer my kids some additional fillers for their popcorn mix like greek yogurt covered dried cranberries and chocolate candies.
I like the rainbow of colors and both the soft and crunchy textures.
For our choice in movie, we voted as a family using the back of the Honey Nut Cheerios box to decide. Lucian originally wanted Diary of a Wimpy Kid. My husband and I wanted to watch We Bought a Zoo. But since Warren and Wesley both wanted to watch Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, Lucian became the deciding voter. The kids won and Ice Age 3 it was!
But it was the snack that blew them away. They loved the additional fillings and couldn’t believe I put it all out on our ottoman for them to much on. I thought they would go nuts on the candy, but it wasn’t even an issue.
All three boys loved the movie and it kept them all, even my two year old, entertained the entire time.
Free Digital HD Movies from Big G
How would you like to enjoy your own movie night at home with your family? It is easy! Simply look for two specially marked packages of Big G cereals and redeem your codes at Big G Cereal Movies. You can choose to redeem them via Target Ticket, Vudu or Google Play. We love streaming movies on our Xbox 360 with Vudu!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. All thoughts are my own.