The weather here in Minnesota is very unpredictable in June. Last week we saw high of 55 on Tuesday and yesterday it was 88 degrees. These weather swings can really be an adjustment. Yesterday the last thing I wanted to do was turn on the oven so Wesley and I decided to make some candy for Mini Chef Monday instead. Have you ever tried potato chip candy? It is super easy and a favorite of mine so we used red, white and blue chocolate covered sunflower seeds and mini cupcake liners to make Patriotic Potato Chip Candy.
While this recipe does not require any baking, I like to use a mini cupcake pan to help the liners hold their shape and for easy storing while the chocolate sets. Setting up the cupcake liners is an easy way to get a child of any age involved. (I do separate the liners for him first.)
This recipe is a great way to use up those crushed chips at the bottom of the bag. I like to add them to a quart sized sealed ziploc and let Wes go to town crushing them. If they struggle with this, a rolling pin is another way to break them down. You want very small pieces but not dust.
Now that Wesley is four, he can help me with tasks like filling the liners. We worked together since 24 is a lot to fill by yourself!
Wesley sprinkled patriotic chocolate covered sunflower seeds over the tops. You can just as easily place one or two red and blue M&M candies on the top or just use patriotic sprinkles.
- 1½ cups white chocolate chips
- 2 cups crushed potato chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows (or finely chopped pecans)
- red, white and blue chocolate covered sunflower seeds, candies or sprinkles
- Melt white chocolate chips.
- In large bowl combine potato chips, melted chocolate and marshmallows.
- Spoon into mini cupcake liners.
- Top with red, white and blue chocolate covered sunflower seeds, candies or sprinkles.
- Allow chocolate to harden before serving.
- Store at room temperature or refrigerate.
If you’d like to skip the marshmallows, I highly recommend very finely chopped pecans instead. I also recommend using a higher quality chocolate for the best results. We like Ghiradelli white chocolate chips.
This is a quick, no bake dessert that is easy to transport. We love the combination of sweet and salty!
What have you been up to with your mini chefs this week?
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 8 fabulous bloggers! Read how Mini Chef Mondaysstarted, plus how to link up!
Join our facebook group to find even more recipes and share recipes too!
Join the Mini Chef Mondays newsletter to get the latest recipes delivered to your email each week! Don’t worry, we will only use your email for Mini Chef Mondays recipes, pinky promise!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well!
- Sundae Fundays Mini Chef Mondays // Courtney’s Sweets
- 6 Reasons to Take Your Kids to a Pick Your Own Farm // Momma Lew
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream Recipe // We’re Parents
- The Best Finger Foods For Baby // Eating Richly Even When You’re Broke
- Cooking with Kids: 5 Must Make Summer Treats // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Vegetarian Crockpot Baked Beans // Vegging at the Shore
- Real Fruit Healthy Slushies // O’Boy! Organic
- Homemade Tuscan Style Pizza // My Mini Adventurer
These look like a great kids recipe! I love the decorations, too.
Dandi D says
I should try making this with my son because it looks so yummy!
How cute. I love chocolate covered sunflower seeds. This is definitely perfect for how hot it has been lately.
Brenda Haines says
I’ve never heard of potato chip candy. This should be fun to make with my son!
Julie Wood says
This is so pretty and looks delicious! I want to make these for a fun summer treat for my kids. They would have fun making these.
This is a cute idea. I love white chocolate, and it sounds super with potato chips. I’d love to try this!
Sarah L says
I’ve never tried chocolate with potato chips like this. They look very festive.
G K says
This is really unique. I bet the salty sweet combo is delicious.
Jenna Hudson says
I love the sweet and salty combo. It’s easy to switch out the M&M for different holidays too!