Married to Jonas is one of E! Network’s newest shows from Ryan Seacrest staring megastar Kevin Jonas (@kevinjonas) and his young wife Dani (@daniellejonas) as they continue to settle into married life together while learning to deal with their sometimes difficult in-laws.
Have you had a chance to see it?
Having just celebrated my 10 year wedding anniversary, I’ve been challenged to share my relationship advice to the new couple on how to make it last. I can honestly say that I’m very happy in my marriage and am thrilled to come up with some tips for how we’ve made it work.
My Top 10 Tips for Making a Relationship Last
Before Getting Married:
1. Don’t Rush. Seems obvious but you really need to know someone before getting married. This will help you have realistic expectations. You know your partner’s quirks, faults and values so you know what you are signing up for when you say “I do.” I dated my husband for 5 years before tying the knot.
2. Have the Important Talks before Committing. It is critical to discuss the big things like where you will live and career choices. You don’t have to know everything right away such as how many children you want but it is helpful if there is something you can’t be flexible with such as having children in the first place.
3. Don’t Assume They Will Change. If there is something that really bothers you about your partner, don’t make the assumption that you will be able to change them. Know it may always be like that and make sure you are comfortable if that is the case.
After Getting Married:
4. Take Time to Connect. We all get busy so it is important you make the time to do things together. It doesn’t matter if your time is on lavish vacations or just a night in with a pizza and a movie. This is especially important when you have kids or if you are separated for other reasons such as travel with your job.
5. Your Spouse Should be Your Best Friend. That doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t keep your friends. But it does mean that if there is something bothering you, you should turn to them for advice or support. If you can’t, something is wrong.
6. Physical Contact. When you are with someone for a long time you may find it easy to stop making physical contact such as holding hands. Don’t stop doing the things you did when you first dated. Give them a kiss goodbye in the morning and make it count. (Nothing better than thinking about a kiss all day and wondering where it might lead when you come home.) Cuddle on couch together while watching t.v.
7. Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff. It is easy to get lost in the everyday annoyances but try not to let them bother you. If you are doing everything else in the list, most likely you won’t care all that much anyway. You will be happy. So what if he leaves his socks on the floor or can’t seem to shut a cupboard door? It is rather trivial and let’s face it, we all do things that are annoying to other people. No one is perfect so save your battles for the bigger things.
8. Be Partners. Look at your marriage at as a give and take partnership. When they succeed, you succeed so be supportive of your spouse’s dreams. However, this can not be one sided or you build resentment. Don’t keep score.
9 Say I Love You Every Day. You should mean it when you say it. There is no such thing as saying it too often. Your spouse may know it already but it feels good to hear it out loud.
10. Be Honest. It is important to be honest with your partner. It is very difficult to have a lasting relationship if it isn’t built on trust.
Married To Jonas, airs on Sunday’s at 10/9c, and offers a glimpse into the reality of falling in love fast and marrying young. Both Kevin and Dani’s parents are a large part of the show as they try and let the couple navigate the waters on their own.
Tune in every Sunday night at 10/9c only on E! and be sure to follow @marriedtojonas on twitter and use the hash tag #marriedtojonas or #MTJ to get in on the conversation!
I have a fun In-Law Survival Kit ($112 value) to give to one of my lucky readers for sharing their favorite advice for making a relationship long lasting! (If you can’t think of your own, feel free to share your favorite from my list.)
- Stress Relief – Eucalyptus Spearmint Sugar Scrub
- Bliss Fabulous Skin-Reviving Rubberizing masks
- Soothing Herbal Tea
- Aromatherapy Spa Stress Relief – Shea Butter & Cedarwood Reed Diffuser
- $15 iTunes Gift Card
- EarPollution Plugz Headphones
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclosure: I received a small gift for my time to construct this post but all thoughts remain my own.