I consider myself a loyal shopper of T.J. Maxx and since I visit the store often, I always assumed I understood a lot about the store and how they could offer such great prices. But I got schooled when I had the opportunity to visit the corporate headquarters earlier this month and attend a holiday blogger event. I’m thrilled to be able to share with you some of what I learned so that you can understand more about these companies and what makes them a fabulous place to shop!
T.J. Maxx and Marshalls are the leading off-price retailers. What is off-price you ask? Off-price is not the selling of inferior goods. Instead, it is selling first-quality, designer and top brand merchandise at lower prices than you’d find at department and specialty stores.
The key to understanding T.J. Maxx and Marshalls is that the majority of goods are just what you’d find in other stores, RIGHT NOW, just at a lower price. More than 85% of available merchandise is current season. The remaining 15% is mostly on basics that nobody would care about being past season such as gift wrap.
If it is past season clothing it will be clearly labeled on the tag. And a whopping 95% is first quality. Less than 5% is irregular and usually unnoticeable to customers. I always assumed irregular meant there was something drastically wrong with fit but it doesn’t. It just means that the product wasn’t exactly what was ordered. So maybe that shirt was supposed to have blue buttons not white. It is something that the customer usually wouldn’t notice.
In case you are a visual person, here is fabulous example. Both of these gorgeous green jackets were purchased this season and were available at the same time at a major department store and at T.J. Maxx or Marshalls.
The only difference is the huge price tag. Why pay $420 when you can get it for $149.99 and you don’t have to wait for a sale to get a discount? With off-price there is no need for sales because everything in the store is so drastically reduced it is like the biggest sale of the year kind of sale, every single day.
While you won’t know what you’ll find each time you visit, that can be half the fun. The thrill of the hunt for a fabulous deal! With new merchandise coming in multiple times a week, you really never know what is in store for you!
Shopping T.J. Maxx and Marshalls this holiday season is the perfect way to stretch your shopping dollar and find something amazing for everyone!