My family has been using King’s Hawaiian bread for appetizers for many years. A favorite has always included rip ‘n dip with spinach or cheese dip. Several months ago we discovered how much our picky four year old Warren loves Kings’ Hawaiian bread after a trip to his grandparents house. It has naturally become something purchased almost every grocery shopping trip as we serve it more often now than just with appetizers.
My husband noticed the Kings Hawaiian Sweet Rolls would work perfect for small burgers a.k.a. sliders and took it upon himself to make some earlier this spring. While he didn’t follow a recipe, he has perfected his cooking method and now makes them often.
Don’t they look good? The recipe is simple but oh so delicious! And buttering then browning the sweet rolls gives them an amazing flavor!
- 1 lb hamburger (85/15 or 80/20 works best)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 package (12 oz) Kings Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
- American cheese slices, cut into smaller squares
- hamburger pickles
- ketchup and mustard (optional)
- Slice onion, keeping slices whole. (Do not split layers apart)
- Slice buns in half making a top and bottom bun. Butter each half.
- Heat two skillets to medium heat over stove. (One for burgers and one for the rolls).
- Divide hamburger into 9 to 12 equal sections, depending upon desired size.
- Roll into hamburger balls then pat down down with a square lid, making the patty about 3" square (they should be very thin). Note: A small plastic container lid works great!
- Place an onion round on top.
- Spray skillet with cooking spray and place hamburger patties on top with onion side down. Cook 3 minutes and turn, cooking until hamburger is completely cooked and juices run clear.
- Melt cheese over hamburger.
- While hamburgers are cooking, brown buttered rolls in other skillet until a golden brown.
- Assemble burgers, adding pickles and desired condiments.
- Serve immediately.
We just served this to my husband’s parents this past weekend and again they were a hit!
This is one of my favorite recipes to share with friends and family. What is your favorite dish to share with the family? Comment below and you’ll be entered to win a $200 Grocery gift card King’s Hawaiian.