This weekend I saw several perfectly ripe bananas sitting on my counter, just begging me to do something with them. I decided it would be a great time to make frozen banana ice cream. And by ice cream, I mean not actually ice cream at all. Just two simple ingredients make up this Homemade Cherry Banana Ice Cream, making it a great activity for kids as part of Mini Chef Monday! This recipe requires a bit of patience as it is a two step process, but is definitely worth it!
My seven and three year old love the opportunity to cut food and bananas are a great way to get practice.
Kids can learn proper ways to hold the knife while building up their motor skills with this recipe. Because bananas are easily sliced with a butter knife, I don’t have to worry about them getting hurt.
While we used frozen cherries, any fruit will work well with this banana “ice cream”!
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- Peel and slice bananas into chucks. Place bananas on parchment paper and freeze until solid, at least two hours.
- Blend bananas and cherries in blender or food processor until smooth.
- Serve immediately.
You will want to serve this recipe right away. While initially this dessert is much like traditional ice cream, as the bananas sit the consistency will change and the bananas will start to brown.
All three of my boys loved this ice cream so much. They thought it was an amazing treat, perfect for late Sunday afternoon. I love snacks that I can feel good about serving. Give it a try with your favorite fruits!
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 11 fabulous bloggers!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well. We would love it if you would share your Mini Chef posts with us each week, too! Follow along socially and join in on the fun by using our hashtag #MiniChefMondays to share creations your mini chef created in the kitchen. Additionally, if you have a kid-friendly recipe that kids can easily recreate link up! Don’t have a blog? Share the URL of your instagram photo in our linky below.
- Easy Fruit Salad Recipe for Valentine’s Day // Courtney’s Sweets
- Red Velvet Waffles // Momma Lew
- Homemade Cherry Banana Ice Cream // Baby Loving Mama
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake Overnight Oats // We’re Parents
- Chocolate & Sprinkle Coated Shortbread Cookies // Frugal Novice
- Best Lactation Cookies Recipe // Eating Richly
- Brown Bag Microwave Popcorn // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Chicken & Broccoli Quesadilla // Step Stool Chef
- Farro with Roasted Vegetables // Vegging at the Shore
- Chocolate Strawberry Puppy Chow // Mom’s Messy Miracles
- Healthy Ambrosia Salad // O’Boy! Organic
- Cinnamon Sugar Dessert Preussens // Can’t Google Everything