Did you know that Big Hero 6 came out on Blu-ray and DVD last week? If you went shopping at all in big box retailers, it was hard to miss. I was hapy when I was asked to review this movie because I knew this was one we’d want to add to our collection. I didn’t know what to expect from this animated hit, because I had purposely tried to not learn to much before watching. It is certainly more fun that way! My entire family absolutely loved this movie and understand why it got such great reviews from movie critics and won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. In case you aren’t familiar or need any extra incentive to watch this fun movie, here are just a few reasons to love Big Hero 6.
Baymax is the adorable white marshmallow of a robot you see everywhere. He is a sweet character you can’t help but love. If you enjoy other A.I. characters like Wall-E you’ll love Baymax. His child-like innocence and vast knowledge gives him a unique perspective on the world around him. With a lack of many typical human emotions, he offers a fresh point of view and a lot of laughs and awwwww moments. (Can anyone say, “Hairy, baby.”) It is no wonder he won most huggable character of the year.
2. Imperfect Characters
This movie is filled with characters who aren’t perfect. They don’t always say or do the right thing. Big Hero 6 is a group of super heroes who are extremely book smart, but sometimes make dumb decisions or don’t succeed at what they try to accomplish. For example, obeying traffic laws when in a car chase with someone trying to kill you probably isn’t a good idea. Taking out a fellow team member when trying to fight the bad guy doesn’t follow typical super hero behavior. I like these flaws because it makes these characters more human.
3. Family Friendly Humor
I realize that animated movies are designed for kids, but I love when the creators keep adults in mind and try to add some humor for us as well. For example, I giggled with my kids when Baymax is running low on battery and resembles the drunk friend who is hard to control. Obviously kids won’t understand the parallels and the scene is just funny no matter what your age.
With all the heart and humor audiences expect from Walt Disney Animation Studios, “Big Hero 6” is an action-packed comedy adventure that introducesBaymax, a lovable, personal companion robot, who forms a special bond with robotics prodigy Hiro Hamada. When a devastating turn of events catapults them into the midst of a dangerous plot unfolding in the streets of San Fransokyo, Hiro turns to Baymax and his diverse group of friends — adrenaline junkie Go Go Tomago, neatnik Wasabi, chemistry whiz Honey Lemon and fanboy Fred — who transform into a band of unlikely heroes. Bring home Disney’s “Big Hero 6,” featuring comic-book-style action and hilarious, unforgettable characters — it’s fun for the whole family!
Digital HD/3D/SD*, Blu-ray Combo Pack & Disney Movies Anywhere (DMA)
- FEAST Theatrical Short
- The Origin Story of “Big Hero 6”: Hiro’s Journey (hosted by Jamie Chung, voice of Go Go Tomago) – Join the team behind the team that brought Big Hero 6 to the big screen as they travel on research trips to Tokyo and San Francisco and go behind the scenes of this epic film. Explore everything comic-book about Big Hero 6, from director Don Hall’s passion for comics to the story’s roots in a lesser known Marvel property. We’ll talk to Marvel’s Joe Quesada and Jeph Loeb, who were consultants on the film, to learn what makes a good comic-book story, and how these devices were used to help create Disney’s “Big Hero 6.”
- Big Animator 6: The Characters Behind the Characters – Join the six lead animators of Big Hero 6 as they talk about each of the characters and how they came to be the heroes they are now.
- Deleted Scenes (intro by Directors Don Hall & Chris Williams) – Includes two alternate openings and more.
- Big Hero Secrets (Easter Egg) – The movie is filled with Easter Eggs, and this Buzzfeed-type list piece will give you a sampling of some of the hidden treasures in the film. See if you can find this Easter Egg about Easter Eggs! (BLU-RAY ONLY)
- Gag Animations (intro by Directors Don Hall & Chris Williams) – For fun, animators made alternate versions of scenes they were working on and threw them into the mix at review sessions. The directors will present some of these gags for the first time to the public in this piece. (DMA ONLY)
- Beatmax – Check out some of Baymax’s greatest lines auto-tuned like you’ve never heard before. (DMA ONLY)
- FEAST Theatrical Short
- Big Animator 6: The Characters Behind the Characters
- “Big Hero 6” Theatrical Teaser
*Digital bonus offerings may vary by retailer
FREE Big Hero 6 Activity Sheets:
Disclosure: I received a copy of Big Hero 6 for the purpose of this review. All thoughts are my own.