Well school has been back in session for awhile now, but we are still working on getting our routine down. The kids get off the bus and come running into the house. They are tired. They are hungry. They need to do their homework. Now, without me there to be a drill sergeant, I am certain the homework would never get done. I recently received a solution for those that are not home to act as a drill sargeant with an at home security camera from See.ing SmartCam.
They sent me the DXG110 WiFi Video Camera which provides real time video monitoring from my smart phone. Awesome. While my children are still quite young, I really can’t leave them alone yet, but someday I certainly will and this will allow me to keep an eye on what they are doing even while I am away. In the meantime, I can see what they are doing while in the presence of others, or while I am outside.
- Pan of 350° / Tilt of 90°
- 720p30 Video Recording to Cloud
- 2- Way Audio
- Push Notification
- 128° Wide Angle Lens
- IR LED for Night Vision
- Smart Motion Detection
- Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) 802. 11 b/g/n.
- Real Time Video Monitoring and Remote Control via iPhone/Android Phone
- Dual Streaming: 720p30 Recording + WVGA Streaming
- Easy Installation via Smart Phone APP
- 10X Zoom
I was a little worried when I first received it that I wouldn’t know how to work it or set it up, but set up was very easy with one exception. You have to download an app on your phone to run the camera from your phone. The instructions included with the camera say to go to the Play Store/App store and download and install See.ingCloud app, but the app is actually called SeeingCloud. No periods or spaces. Once I figured that part out, installation was easy.
There was also some concern that my home internet connection would be too slow for the camera to work. We have a satellite internet provider. I have had no issues with it working. The only problem I have had is that when I am away from my home and away from a WiFi connection and only getting 3g service on my phone, I cannot get it to pick up the camera. Most places it works fine.
- Camera with antenna
- User Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- USB Cable
- AC Adapter
- Mounting Plate
- Screws for Mounting
The camera works great. The image is VERY clear and even the night vision produces a great image. The only weird image thing that I have noticed is that my houseplants all look purple instead of green for some reason. I love that the Wide angle lens allows me to put the camera in the corner of the room, and see the whole room. It is great. If there was something I couldn’t see, I can easily use the 350° pan and move the camera from side to side to see everything. There are very simple to use remote features in the app allowing my phone to work as a remote control. I can also zoom in and out from my phone. I did find that as I have the camera up on a shelf and it will only tilt down so much I lost what I wanted to see as I zoomed in because the camera was too high. This would be easily solved if I mounted it on the wall with the included mounting brackets.
While I must admit I feel somewhat guilty “spying” on my family, I can see the many effective uses of this camera:
1. As I said, if I were a working parent and I wanted to see what my older children were doing such as homework while I couldn’t be home, I could use the camera to see and hear them and I can even use the 2-way audio to talk to them and keep them on track.
2. Could be great as a Nanny cam if you were worried about them in the presence of babysitters.
3. Could be used as a home security camera, but is definitely not easily hidden or unnoticed and is easily turned off.
4. Would work great as a video baby monitor
5. Can watch your children if they have questionable friends over for a playdate or party.
6. I might use it briefly to record my chickens to see what is really going on out there. Could be great in a barn or stable.
The camera offers an option of putting in a micro SD card which you can record video to, or you can subscribe (and pay for) cloud service which you can record to. This would be a great option if you were using as a home security system. For me, I haven’t really found reason to record my family. I think my husband really is not fond of the idea of me watching him. He tends to turn it off.
I feel I must add that you basically have to have a smart phone or tablet in order to use this camera. As far as I can tell, that is the only way to control it.
I like this camera very much and continue to find new reasons and ways to use it every day. I do wish the instruction manual was just a little clearer, but most of it can easily be figured out on my own.
The DXG 110 See.ing SmartCam has a MSRP of $149.99 and is available at Amazon, Sharper Image, Smart Home, Fry’s Electronics, and the Seeing Cam website.
Disclosure: I received a sample for purpose of this review however all thoughts remain my own.