Halloween is such a fun time in the kitchen. I love projects that I can do with my kids, and these white chocolate banana ghosts from Jill Schultz are a perfect example. Jill uses Wilton candy eyes for these ghosts, but you could easily substitute any dark brown/black candy or even chocolate chips. If you are looking for a a clean, smooth finish on the white chocolate, simply add a little vegetable oil or shortening to your melted chocolate before dipping. For the mouth, a bit of chocolate or black Wilton candy melts applied with a toothpick would work well.
- 2 bags (12oz) Wilton white chocolate candy melts
- 4-5 medium size bananas, cut in half and frozen
- Wilton black candy melts (or semi-sweet chocolate chips)
- Wilton small candy eyeballs
- Freeze bananas for at least an hour for easier handling.
- In a shallow microwave safe dish heat the white chocolate candy melts in 30 second increments stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- Allow the chocolate to cool 2-3 minutes before dipping your bananas.
- Remove the bananas from the freezer and dip them one at a time in the chocolate completely covering them. Use a small spoon to help coat the banana and a fork to lift it out of the chocolate.
- Because the bananas are frozen, extra chocolate will cling to them. Lay them on the cookie sheet and use a butter knife to smooth out the chocolate if needed. They do not have to be perfect.
- Next, give the banana 2 candy eyes. If the chocolate has already started to set, simply add a drop of the melted chocolate to each candy eye and place on the banana.
- Repeat with all the bananas.
- Melt a small handful of chocolate chips or black candy melts.
- Using a toothpick, draw mouth on banana ghosts.
- Put bananas back into the freezer prior to serving. This will allow the bananas to stay firm.
My microwave takes about 2 ½ – 3 minutes for every 12 oz. of chocolate. I also recommend only melting 12 oz. at a time. Once frozen bananas thaw they are super soft and sticky so be sure to keep them frozen until serving. If you have extra chocolate and bananas feel free to re-heat and melt the leftover chocolate following the directions above.
Wilton products can be found at major retailers and craft stores including Michaels and Jo-Ann Fabrics in the Wilton candy/baking aisle. You can find Wilton Candy Melts and candy eyes in store at Walmart.
(Tip: You can also find the candy eyeballs in the baking aisle in Target, next to the baking cups and sprinkles.)
I love the combination of banana with chocolate and these ghosts are an easy way to celebrate Halloween. Have fun with these white chocolate banana ghosts!