This post is brought to you in partnership with REAL® Seal. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Baking during the holidays immediately brings me back to my childhood. Every year my mom would have all day (or all weekend) holiday baking sessions with her daughters. So many wonderful memories were created while we spent time in the kitchen together making so many delicious sweets. While we always had our favorites that were made year after year such as date cookies and spritz, we always enjoyed trying new recipes as well. Last year my mom made soft white chocolate peppermint cookies topped with crushed candy canes. I fell in love with them. This year I wanted to make something similar to add to our holiday baking. I used my coconut chocolate chip cookie recipe as a base and they turned out so good! They are perfect to share in the REAL® SEAL’s Virtual Cookie Swap Party! Each day, REAL® Seal will showcase a different yummy recipe on their Facebook page.
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup REAL® butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon peppermint emulsion (or peppermint extract)
- 1½ cups white chocolate chips
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2½ tablespoons water
- sparkling sugar, sprinkles or crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt into medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until well combined.
- Beat in the instant pudding mix until fully mixed.
- Beat in eggs and peppermint emulsion.
- Slowly add in flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Gently stir in the chocolate chips and coconut .
- Drop cookies by rounded teaspoon onto silicone baking sheet or parchment paper lined cookie sheets. (Ungreased cookie sheets will work as well.)
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
- Cool on cookie sheet for one minute before moving to wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix powdered sugar and water until fully blended.
- Spoon onto center of cookies. Immediately top with sparkling sugar, sprinkles or crushed candy canes.
When I know I’m going to be doing a lot of baking, I always love to stock up on essentials like butter, eggs, flour and sugar. I love getting my butter from my local warehouse club where I can get a great deal on butter with the REAL® Dairy Seal. I love the extra savings on a quality product I can trust!
For this recipe, you can easily skip the icing and sprinkles but I love the festive look. Since my husband is not a big fan of the crunch of candy canes on his cookies, I sprinkled mine with some pretty red and white sparkling sugars. It follows the peppermint theme and makes the cookies sparkle.
Once they have a chance to dry, these cookies are easy to transport. I brought them to my local mom group meeting and they went over well!
If you really love the taste of peppermint, you can add a little peppermint extract or emulsion to your icing. If you aren’t familiar with emulsions, they are water based and retain more flavor after baking than extracts which are alcohol based. You can use them interchangeably in the same quantity with baking, but be sure to use a little less emulsion for any non-baked items like icing.
REAL® Sweet Holiday Memories Pin-To-Win Sweepstakes
REAL® Seal is celebrating the holiday season by kicking off REAL® Sweet Holiday Memories with their Pin-To-Win Sweepstakes. From now until December 18th, visit the REAL® Seal Facebook page where you can sign up for the REAL® Seal Facebook page!
Be sure to visit the REAL® Seal Pinterest page for more great holiday baking ideas using dairy!
Watch for more recipes and special promotions as part of my involvement with the REAL® Seal Dairy Divas!