This past Memorial Day weekend we had three get togethers. On Saturday we went the easy route with some fried chicken at our house. I wanted a refreshing salad to serve with it instead of my usual garden salad. Typically I turn to cole slaw or a creamy broccoli slaw as my go-to summer salad. But sometimes change is good! I found a Rainbow Salad Mix in the grocery store featuring cabbage, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower and wanted to give it a try. I decided to add a light citrus dressing featuring lemon and orange and thus this Broccoli Slaw with Citrus Dressing was born.
- 12 oz bag Broccoli Slaw or Rainbow Salad Mix
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon or orange zest
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- In mason jar (or other container with lid) add oil, lemon juice, orange juice, zest, sugar and salt. Add cap and shake well.
- In medium bowl, mix together all ingredients.
- Chill until ready to serve.
You can easily change out the Rainbow Mix for more traditional broccoli slaw or even cole slaw mix. If love fruit in your salad, consider adding orange wedges, strawberries or blueberries for a refreshing option! It is very versatile. This dressing is a bit on the sweeter side so you may want to start with less sugar and add more to suit your personal tastes. You can also save some sliced almonds to add as garnish.