I received an awesome package earlier this month filled with everything I would need to make any kind of delicious Chex Mix I wanted. But when I showed some recipe options to my husband and kids they immediately found a favorite, Gingerbread Chex Mix. Because this mix has one of their very favorite candies, Hot Tamales, it pretty much blew the competing recipes out of the water!
So on one lazy afternoon, my four year old son Warren and I made it. Doesn’t it look tasty? It is!
- 3 cups Apple Cinnamon Chex® cereal
- 3 cups Wheat Chex® cereal
- 1 cup fancy mixed nuts
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup light molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ cup chewy cinnamon candy
- In large microwaveable bowl, mix cereals and nuts; set aside. Line cookie sheet with waxed paper or foil.
- In 2-cup microwaveable measuring cup, microwave butter until melted. Stir in brown sugar, molasses and spices uncovered on High about 30 seconds to 1 minute, until mixture is boiling; stir. Pour over cereals and nuts until evenly coated.
- Microwave uncovered on High 3 to 4 minutes, stirring and scraping bowl every minute, or until cereal just begins to brown. Spread on waxed paper to cool, about 5 minutes. Stir in cinnamon candies. Store in airtight container.
This recipe is super simple to make and perfect to get little hands involved in the kitchen. Warren helped me pour all of the ingredients into the bowl and our mix was done in no time. The gingerbread flavor took a bit for me to get used to but once all the flavors melded together and had a chance to settle I really fell in love with the seasonal taste and the addition of the cinnamon candies!
What is your favorite Chex Mix??
Disclosure: I received a gift package with materials to make this recipe however all thoughts remain 100% my own.