*This post is brought to you in partnership with Wilton as part of the Sweet Treat Team program. All thoughts are my own.*
Earlier this year I discovered potato chip candy. If you’ve never tried it, you definitely should. Potato chip candy is super easy to make and is the perfect combination of sweet and salty. These can also be adapted for really any holiday simply by changing up the flavors or using holiday baking cups. Last month I made this Peppermint Potato Chip Candy to bring to the staff at my children’s school and they were a hit! These candies are super easy to transport so they make a great option for holiday treat tables and gift giving.
The recipe I original used had only three ingredients: potato chips, chocolate and nuts. Now I’m having so much fun trying new combinations of ingredients to change things up. When I received a fun holiday package in the mail from Wilton with these limited edition Candy Cane Candy Melts, I immediately thought of a peppermint potato chip candy. I picked up these fun snowman mini baking cups in the seasonal section of my local Target and thought they’d be perfect for my candy.
- 1 10oz bag Wilton Candy Cane Candy Melts
- 2 cups crushed potato chips with ridges
- ⅔ cup mini marshmallows
- crushed candy canes, holiday sprinkles or white chocolate peppermint M&M's candy (for garnish, optional)
- Melt candy melts in microwave, using microwave safe bowl.
- Start with one minute then stir. Continue to microwave, stopping at 30 second intervals to stir, just until melted. (Do not overheat)
- Gently stir in potato chips.
- And marshmallows and stir gently until combined.
- Drop mixture into mini baking cups. Top with garnish if desired.
- Place in refrigerator to set before serving, at least 30 minutes.
- Store in airtight container.
With the peppermint build right into the chocolate, it was easy to get the flavor I wanted for the holidays. I also thought mini marshmallows would be a great alternative to nuts and would fit in well with the snowman cups. I like to use my mini muffin tin to help the cups retain their shape while they set. It also makes it super easy to transfer them into the refrigerator.
For a pop of color on top, I added a red peppermint with white chocolate M&M candy. These are also limited edition available only at Target and were a perfect fit with the white chocolate candy cane candy melts.
For more fun baking and cake decorating ideas for the holidays, be sure to check out Wilton. You can purchase some Wilton baking essentials on Wilton.com where they offer free shipping on orders of $50 or more. Local retailers including craft stores like Michaels and Jo-Ann Fabrics and mass retailers like Walmart and Target also carry Wilton products!