I had the opportunity this week to visit General Mills and learn more not only about their cereals but about the faces behind the company. I had a fabulous time and it should be no surprise that they fed us some absolutely delicious and healthy foods while were were there. One of my very favorites was a Crunchy Fruit Salad.
This salad has only a few ingredients but it is packed with tons of flavor and crunch. I could have eaten several bowls of this one! They offered a variety of cereal to sprinkle over the top or you could leave the salad plain if you preferred.
- 1 large apple or pear, cut into bite-size pieces
- large stalk celery, sliced
- ¼ cup raisins (or peanuts)
- ¼ cup reduced-fat ranch salad dressing or mayonnaise
- Lettuce leaves
- 1 cup Cheerios® or MultiGrain Cheerios® cereal, slightly crushed
- Mix fruit, celery, raisins and dressing until blended. Refrigerate until serving.
- Before serving, arrange lettuce leaves in four salad bowls/plates. Spoon fruit mixture over lettuce and top each serving with ¼ cup slightly crushed cereal before serving.
The individual bowls certainly made serving a crowd even easier and added to the overall presentation, but it could just as easily been beautiful served in a large bowl as well.
I think this would be fun to play around with different combinations of fruit and other fillers. I would consider dried cranberries, golden raisins, colorful sweet peppers, chopped pecans, granola or apple and pear combined. Maybe even some cubed ham or turkey! The possibilities are endless so have fun making the salad as is or switching things up to make it your own!
Disclosure: This is not a sponsored post, however my accommodations were graciously paid for by General Mills. All thoughts remain my own.