*This post is brought to you in partnership with Wilton as part of the Sweet Treat Team program. All thoughts are my own.*
A few months ago I hosted a fun hot dog party in honor of newest book from Mo Willems, The Pigeon Needs a Bath and the 10 year birthday/anniversary of The Pigeon book series. If you are familiar with the books, you know that The Pigeon absolutely loves hot dogs. I thought hot dog cupcakes would be the perfect way to celebrate. Needless to say, they were a big hit!
I presented my cupcakes on the Wilton Cupcakes ‘N More® 13 Count Small Dessert Stand, the perfect size stand for my party. For the 10th birthday, I lucked out that the number 1 and number 0 in the Numeral Candle Pick set were both yellow and fit my color scheme.
How did I made the candy hot dogs? I came up with the idea of using caramels and tootsie rolls after seeing a picture on pinterest which used caramels for the hot dogs and circus peanuts for the hot dog. I liked the flavor combination of the caramel and chocolate much better. These are surprisingly easy to make.
- Unwrap caramel and heat up for a few seconds in the microwave to soften.
- Flatten caramel with the palm of your hand.
- Fold the sides in and smooth out top edges to resemble the bun.
- For the hot dog, twist a regular sized toostie roll to break in half. (You can make two hot dogs out of one tootsie roll.)
- Roll half into a log shape to resemble a hot dog.
- Add small lines to each end with a toothpick to resemble end of hot dog, if desired.
- Place candy hot dog in bun.
That is it! If you are more of a visual person, here are pictures showing you step-by-step.
For more fun baking and cake decorating ideas, be sure to check out the Wilton blog. And pick up Wilton baking essentials for your next project on Wilton.com and local retailers including craft stores like Michaels and Jo-Ann Fabrics or mass retailers like Walmart and Target!