This post is brought to you courtesy of Hillshire Farm® but all the opinions and content are mine.
Deciding on what to make for dinner can be a struggle, especially when I’m running low on groceries. One of my weekly stops always includes Target because Target is my happy place. Shopping at Target gives me a double dose of what I need. It is my chance to browse some awesome products and clothing while still allowing me to grab all the essentials. The DOLLAR SPOT always brings a smile to my face and I love all the great deals. From free gift card with purchase to mobile coupons to the Cartwheel app, I find so many ways to save at Target. For example, right now you can get 20% OFF HILLSHIRE FARM® Smoked Sausages through the app, perfect for making this easy Mexican Rice Kielbasa Skillet.
If you aren’t sure where to find it, look for the sausage near the hot dogs and lunch meat products. Our local Target had the Hillshire Farm® smoked sausage products at the very bottom of the refrigerated case so you may have to look closely for them!
This skillet can be on the table in just over 30 minutes and uses only one pan for minimal cleanup, which is my kind of recipe! I don’t want to spend a lot of extra time on cooking or cleanup when I could be spending that quality time with family. Weeknights seem too short as it is. I just want a meal I can feel good about serving my family.
- 1 package Hillshire Farm® Polkska Kielbasa (or Smoked Sausage)
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1¾ cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1 cup picante sauce
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11oz) Mexicorn drained
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- sour cream, diced tomatoes green onion
- Cut sausage into ½” slices.
- Heat a large 12 inch skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add sausage and brown for 2 minutes before adding chopped onion.
- Cook, stirring frequently 5-6 minutes or until sausage is lightly browned and onions are tender. Transfer to medium bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat in skillet.
- Add rice, stirring often until a golden brown. Stir in the water, bouillion, picante sauce and chili powder.
- Heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, corn and cooked sausage and onions.
- Top the with cheese.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender.
- Top skillet with sour cream, tomatoes and sliced green onions. (Can also be served on the side.)
While I love cooking with Hillshire Farm® Polska Kielbasa, I normally pick more traditional dishes or simple ways to prepare it for my family. This time I decided to step outside that box. I thought it would taste wonderful in a Mexican inspired dish so I set out to create one. I was right!
With a wide variety of ingredients, this dish has everything I’m looking for in a single skillet. You can easily customize this skillet to suite your own tastes. I made this skillet mild but you can turn up the spice by using a hot picante sauce or adding a can of green chilies.
While I chose sour cream, tomatoes and green onion for garnish, any traditional taco toppings would also taste great.
My husband devoured this Mexican Rice Kielbasa Skillet and my oldest son kept asking if he could have some of my sausage. I think it would a perfect for feeding your family on a weeknight.
Don’t forget to take advantage of this great savings offer for 20% OFF HILLSHIRE FARM® rope smoked sausage at Target through March 19th with the Cartwheel app.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Hillshire Farm®. The opinions and text are all mine.